Senior Mechanical Engineer, Lifecycle Engineering
A Senior Mechanical Engineer will lead product lifecycle design projects, complex technical tasks and engineering process improvements. Coach and develop junior engineers and technicians in root cause analysis, design control, and project management.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop junior engineers' understanding of core engineering principles and applied clinical knowledge
- Address field complaints by leading failure investigations through analysis of returned product, console data, and clinical notes
- Perform mechanical, fluid, vibration, thermal, reliability, and systems analyses in support of root cause analysis of current designs and proposed design improvements
- Fabricate prototypes with assistance from junior staff, technical support team (Machine Shop, Technicians and Designers) and suppliers
- Work with internal and external manufacturing partners to ensure producible designs (DFM)
- Develop test methods and conduct characterization and engineering pre-verification testing
- Document designs by constructing solid models and drawings with CAD using GD&T and stack-up analyses
- Prepare design reviews and present to peers and review team
- Create work breakdown structures and project plans using Microsoft Project
- Lead project team meetings and provide technical direction
- Manage self and junior staff for timely completion of tasks per plan without direct supervision
- Support sustaining engineering efforts by the timely disposition of non-conforming material and resolve producibility issues with internal and external manufacturing partners
- Support design for manufacturing projects and manufacturing automation projects as the design authority
- Continuously improve failure investigation processes to improve accuracy and decrease investigation time
- Identify and establish new approaches and procedures
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or directly related scientific discipline, MS Preferred
- 8 years of related experience in mechanical engineering; Medical Device experience preferred
- Desire and aptitude to coach, teach, and mentor junior engineers
- Must be skilled with Engineering CAD software. SolidWorks and EPDM preferred.
- Must be skilled in FEA and with analytical software. Ansys, MathCad, MiniTab& Matlab preferred.
- Working knowledge of applicable manufacturing processes such as injection molding, extrusion and fabrication
- Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly, effectively and frequently (oral and written)
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Ability to execute, prioritize, and delegate effectively to meet strict deadlines
- Must be proficient Microsoft Office Suite. Working knowledge of SAP preferred.
- May require up to 10% travel US& EU
ABIOMED is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to the policy of providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or national origin. (#LI-TD1)